Poetry

06 September 2017

From My Portfolios

Intermediate Drawing
 Re: The nude model

Drawing an in person nude model isn't as uncomfortable as I thought it would be. In both Drawing 101 and Intermediate Drawing there are nude model drawing sessions. The professor announces it, and give students the opportunity to stay or chose another project. For me, the majority of insecurity about skill fades being in a classroom/group.
The first drawing is actually a deeper red, and one to back with canvas and frame. When and if I ever have a real studio space, then these are two that I will frame and hang with Swiss clips.

Drawing 101 circa 2001











The second drawing reminds me of the first class where my fear of not drawing well fades away. I learned how to release the burden of being scared to draw.
The drawings may not be recent, but they are finished.




Watercolor sketches from autumn circa 1990 taken on a hill looking towards the Worcester Mountains, Vermont. The orchard in the foreground drove me crazy trying to figure it out without a technical drawing. Looking straight, perspective is all right, but foreshorten and looking downward is difficult for me. I have to plot it out in a sketch first.
Worcester Mountains, Vermont 5.5" x 3.5 watercolor


Autumn looking towards Worcester Mountains in Vermont





Winter, 14" x 10" watercolor, 1980






























The last photo is one of the few I have left from years gone by.


10 comments:

  1. Maywyn-I feel like you have been hiding your talents from the world!!!! These are all wonderful paintings. I especially love the winter scene-but they are equally good art, all of them.
    I have had some figure drawing-at Cornell University there were open classes if you went with a student. I know I need lots more practice to feel like I can do humans well at all. I guess I just avoid it-not a good way to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debra
      The 30 in 30 challenge you are doing is inspiring me to consider doing that as well.

      Delete
  2. Your paintings are lovely. You are very talented.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Loree
    I'm anxious to start painting again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Maywyn - I echo Debra's comment...your talent friend has been hiding. Your landscapes are especially beautiful and even though I am not a big fan of snow...your last one really captures my eye. So glad to see you are putting your work out there. Take care and have a lovely day. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Debbie
      A lovely day to you!

      Delete
  5. These are all gorgeous, Maywyn!!So nice to see your paintings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Celia
      I hope to show more as I get back to painting again.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful work! I could reasonably do landscapes, but people were just one subject I could never work well on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you William
      The exercise to draw in seconds before the pose changes is amazing how it helps one focus. Anatomy takes study.

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated