Poetry

09 August 2017

Mystery Solved: Not so fast...



The large black birds sitting on the branches of a dead tree have been a mystery to me. What kind of birds are they?  I thought they're crows. At the time the photograph was taken, I didn't notice them, using zoom. They are too big to be crows.




Today, I stop at a picnic table along Otter Creek. I see what looks like otter or a bird. Remembering I can use zoom on a picture when it is still in the camera, I see it is a bird. I thought a Blue Heron. An upload later zooming in, the beak indicates it isn't. I recall the name cormat something. Google and there the word is...Cormorant. Evidently, they can be a problem in the Lake Champlain Basin.
Double Crested Cormorant, Otter Creek, Vergennes, Vermont






The Cormorant is preening itself on a log.






Now I really am away...Update
Shut down laptop
Return, open laptop, Desktop icons are missing, fonts are changed, popup about No Desktop Available. More stuff to read through  on the Internet as to why this happens. 
Except for...how to tell if you've been hacked says if you find things changed, then that might mean somebody hacked your system. 
Search: Desktop Not Available Windows 10
1st Results dated February 2015
Nearly 100%  of the time I read a question and the solutions, its nothing but try this, try that. Not once have I read a clear solution on a problem that Microsoft knows about for years. I understand each system is different, but when the same thing happens on different systems in the same program, then I think the problem should have a clear solution. 

On the upside of it, the HP laptop colors are more attractive than on the Acer. 

Update 3 hour later...Acer system restore and Microsoft update finished. Problem...password didn't work because it had been changed. I didn't change it. Had to reset password to open laptop. 

4 comments:

  1. I hope that can be resolved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi William,
      Backup laptop.
      System restore and Microsoft updates running.
      Have a good evening!

      Delete
  2. I've been an Apple user for years so, touch wood (no, I'm not really superstitious) I've not had any such problems. I'm now out of touch with Microsoft and, particularly, Windows 10, so when I am asked to sort out friends' laptops (no friends have a desk top now) I sometimes struggle. However occasionally (like last Thursday with friends for lunch) I strike lucky quickly and find that some of the old settings are still there just lurking behind a new facade.

    Coincidentally I photographed an immature Cormorant in the sea on my way home from town yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graham,
      I dream of the day I buy an Apple computer. I've heard nothing buy praise for them.
      Cormorants are a funny looking bird when they move around.

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated