Poetry

29 July 2017

Desk Chit Chat: What Do You Miss?

Missing the Dragonfly

The abundance of rain doesn't blend well with depression. When the sun is out, then I feel it's time to be there, show up, show appreciation, lift one's spirits, and get some vitamin D. Thus, there's much time for pondering, observing, being alive. This past week that's where I've been on purpose, as much as the weather allows, on the patio.
As it happens, I saw a magnificent dragonfly, large with huge wings, one black patch just outside the center wing. By the time I had camera in hand, that dragonfly is gone. Three days I've been waiting for it to return. So far I haven't found a name as the online dragonfly images aren't quite a match. A quick look, those seconds recorded to memory can be altered when the brain stores it away. Methinks our emotions might embellish the sight with dashes of glitter awesome. I sit looking around the viburnum and patio, missing that dragonfly.

Speaking of...on a rainy day searching the Internet, I found a good list for getting out of a rut on Lifehack.com.  I like number 3...oh, and number 8.
12 Ways To Get Out of a Rut, by Celestine Chua

Reading art news, an article on Art News by Alex Greenberger about the deaccession of art at the Berkshire Museum. I find it sad that works of art at a museum are sold off to fund other projects.
Berkshire Museum article at Art News

On a fashion note, I love pintuck blouses, the more intricate, the better. Summer is half way to autumn vacation wise. My style project from last winter has acquired one piece, a black maxi skirt. Adding this one to the list...
Black Moss Pintuck Lace Crepe Top at Gap.com


Have a fantastic Summer week-end!

12 comments:

  1. Not sure I want to get out of my "rut." I like being at home and tinkering and avoiding the craziness of life right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tabor,
      I think of that as enjoying one's nest.
      I rather like that situation myself.

      Delete
  2. Dragonflies are a marvel to watch. Amazing flyers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi William,
      Yes, dragonflies are amazing flyers.
      A damselfly, perhaps hinting that dragonfly isn't returning, lit on my knee today. I'm not sure if they bite or not, so I scooted it off.

      Delete
  3. I hope that the dragonfly will return and that you will be able to take a photo of it. I love dragonflies. They are very pretty. I also that pintuck lace top. It's very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Loree,
      I'll keep watching with camera in had. The damselflies appear to be visiting more.
      Have a fun week!

      Delete
  4. I didn't read that particular article about the Berk Museum, but I find their decision to sell off artwork rather disturbing. I wonder if it will go through...from what I've read about it, the museum may actually be breaking the rules of whatever organization it belongs to.
    The rain has certainly made a difference in much of my life this season. About once a day, sometimes more often, I have to remind myself to take a couple of slow breaths and just Remain Calm. But I love seeing dragonflies and damselflies, and when one lands on my hand it feels like a visit from an enchanted world :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Quinn,
      I'm hoping Berkshire Museum will come to their senses.

      Delete
  5. How wonderful to have that dragonfly's beauty captured in your memory, if not your camera. Creatures that fly are full of grace. I'll be checking out the LifeHack link, and I, too, like pintucks. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lorrie,
      I love your post about New Westminster Waterfront. The esplanade looks beautiful.

      A great week to you as well

      Delete
  6. Hmmmmm, Something here has changed.. is it the border, the summer grass? I like it, whatever it is. I missed a photo of a huge moth, he was flitting with the butterflies in the Zinnia patch, unusual I thought. But when I found my camera, he was gone... just like your dragonfly. I can see his chunky body in my minds eye, and wondered if I simply saw a butterfly at an unusual angle.. I will never know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeri,
      Your blog post about making Dinah is fantastic. It shows how much work goes into making felted creatures. she turned out quite cute.

      Changes, yes. I added photos to the left column, and the background image to a field of grasses and wildflowers. I'm going for a more sunny look.

      I've seen more butterflies around in the last few days than the entire summer. One even tried to land on me yesterday as I was trying to get my camera ready for a picture. It also flew away.

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated