Pages

Poetry

26 June 2017

Tissue Turds

Watercolor sketch

The watercolor sketch is the second try. The first is torn up waiting for me to get up to throw it in the trash.(I decide on the way home from doing errands, giving acrylics a chance on this landscape is in the cards.)

Today, the several tissues I've used are flimsy pieces of paper that with a touch of moisture, nearly disintegrate. The bits stick to the surface leaving tissue turds on your nose, rear, and in this case , on my watercolor sketch.

Tissue is used to lightly dab out color to make clouds and such in watercolors. In the photo, the bits in the sky are tissue turds! I expect when they dry, they can be gently brushed off. Still, the surface isn't the same as it would be without the tissue turds.

From my experience, it doesn't matter what direction to dab or wipe. There's tissue that is cheap, flimsy, horrid and will roll up into bit of tissue turds. With toilet paper tissue, unless you wash off and dry with a towel, that soiled and scented by your waste tissue will be there until it is washed off. Think about it. Find a tissue that's worth the price. 


12 comments:

  1. I agree completely about cheap tissues! Your greens are beautiful and I love the sky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Celia,
      Thank you.
      I'm inspired when I see watercolors like yours.

      Delete
  2. Just like the discussion of greens recently the painting reflects the huge variety. It makes me think. (Which is always and achievement and a Good Thing.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graham,
      If you go to watercolors, then be sure to have enough yellow and blue to mix other greens. That said, I'm on my way out to buy lemon ices.

      Delete
  3. I was selling plants a few weeks ago, outside a small water color class and really made me think I might like to do that...maybe...perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tabor,
      I think being in a class is always fun. If your hesitant, then consider buying a student watercolor pan set in the plastic case, and a paper pad that takes water colors. Then splash around on your own to get a feel if that's where you want to go.

      Delete
  4. Dear Maywyn - I think that is true also with paper towels and plastic wrap. Really like your watercolor Maywyn...so pretty. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie
      Thank you. Yes, there are some paper towels that almost disintegrate when they get wet.

      Delete
  5. I've been doing more watercolors this month, and somewhere along the way got the tip to not use paper towels or tissues to blot, but rather to pick up the moisture with a brush. To my surprise, it actually works! I'm not sure this applies to what you are trying to do, but thought I'd mention it just in case.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Quinn,
      Yes, thank you, the brush works in some cases.
      Using tissue creates texture, absorbing water at different rates into the crinkling areas that touch the paper. Its a delicate procedure. If the paper is dabbed with too much pressure, then it will bruise the painting, press too much color into one area. After the watercolor dries, you can also lift color off areas using a wet brush. I think that's the cloud technique I'm going to practice more before the big paper.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thank you Debra
      The Toulouse goose will be on the loose in watercolor next. :)

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated