Poetry

18 June 2017

The Frozen Dinner

In the 1950s I recall frozen dinners being a big treat. Heated in the oven, it could take time for a family of seven in a conventional oven. Thus, they were basic meals for when the table wasn't packed. Nowadays the majority of frozen dinners are in plastic trays to be heated in the microwave.
Lean Cuisine Glazed Turkey Tenderloins with sweet potatoes
Browsing the frozen food section recently (during one of my not wanting to cook episodes), I begin to think the portion size of frozen entrees might be a solution to help me adjust to eating less. A frozen dinner and chewing slower will be beneficial.Using the plastic trays to measure meal portions when I do cook, is another positive step.

What about that current do this advice to stay away from prepared foods? I believe preparing food first hand is best. However, there are frozen foods that are not full of stuff like too much sugar and salt (sodium). The biggest problem with adding frozen dinners to my weekly menu is the convenience. It is too easy to just pop one in the microwave. I can cook and freeze my own dinners. Yet, that's not going to help when I have an energy slow down to not cook, and a tiny apartment size freezer. The Lean Cuisine dinner* in the photo is on my list along with their Cheese Ravioli. Frozen dinners a few times a week and/or have them in the freezer just in case is the plan for the new me eating less. 


*Not a sponsored post
P.S. I've lost 2 pounds in a week using an eating less menu.
It is a challenge to cook foods that fits (in the frozen dinner tray) the ideal portion for one.  There's always more leftovers.

8 comments:

  1. I don't actually remember frozen dinners from the 1950s because we didn't have a fridge in the early 50s and my parents didn't have a freezer until the early sixties (at a guess). You are obviously set on eating less (which implies, to me, that you think you eat too much) and I got the impression form your last post that you eat often (portion size versus number of meals). I'm retired and my eating habits are very erratic which, I have been told, is not good for one's blood sugar levels so I try and discipline myself to some extent. I tend to batch cook and freeze (although I have recently downsized my freezer to instil a bit of discipline) and make a lot of vegetable soups of a wide variety of types. I do find cooking and buying for one difficult and much prefer to cook for friends for dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graham,
      The batch cook and freeze works. I did that years ago before I went back to mainly salads.
      After seeing a nutritionist last year, I lost my enthusiasm for food. Weird because I learned that carbs and protein need to be balanced.

      Delete
  2. When I cook soup, or chicken, or rice and veg, or whatever, I usually freeze some in rectangular Pyrex containers that hold 2 or 3 cups. They take up about the same space as a LC or Stouffer's package. Even if I end up eating them all in a week or so, I feel better freezing than just refrigerating, and sometimes they actually stay frozen until some night weeks later when I'm worn out and hungry and could easily call supper a box of crackers and a ginger beer if there wasn't something "decent" waiting in the freezer. Sometimes I do buy a frozen meal, but I tend to eat it right away expecting a treat, and am usually disappointed. And twice I've had to contact big-name companies about an issue with a frozen meal. But I certainly know what you mean about the times when you just need the convenience! I've been eating a LOT of cheese sandwiches recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Quinn,
      The motivation, the physical energy is what keeps me from cook and freeze. When I did use that menu method, unfortunately I learned that cake is good frozen. lol
      After reading your and Grahams comments, I think this week I'll give the cook and freeze another try. However, I'm not giving up those two frozen dinners I've discovered are really good. :)

      Delete
  3. I think the idea is fine if you check the ingredients. It may help you eat less. Just make sure you get lots of fresh fruit and veggies for fiber and vitamins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tabor,
      Good advice.
      I'm slowly going back to fresh veggies and fruit. The pain of a diverticulitis flare up is so bad, fresh can be scary.

      Delete
  4. I do wonder about the safety of heating those plastic containers. I still prefer glass, and I'll take stuff out of those plastic things before I heat them up...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debra,
      I share your concerns.
      I also worry about tiny glass shards and the microwave plastic containers. For food storage, I use canning jars, a sometimes use of plastic.

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated