17 June 2017

Desk Chit Chat: A Silo, Portions and Eating Less

Barn and Silo Vermont, Edward Hopper 1929

This painting is better than my search for a summer Vermont scene by an American artist on Wikiart.org. The emotion of the painting, leaning into the sunlight, shadows to the side is what captures my imagination. This week for me has been a leaning into the sunlight, feeling better, on the mend. The contrast of blue in the background hills with the warm yellows in the foreground lift my spirits. And the silo, oh silo! It represents to me the drastic change in my diet.

You can be told dozens of times, and still not have that advice connect. Then one day something or somebody says to you the same thing, and there you go with the light bulb shinning bright. For example, portions, smaller and less may be world akin to each other, but they have different uses. Portions (of food) versus the amount (of food) are not the same. Smaller portions 10 times a day is cutting down what is on your plate. It doesn't include the number of times (amount) you actually eat in a day. Thus, eating less isn't the same as have smaller portions. Smaller portions 5 times a day is eating less.


I've been reading the book, Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel.
I like the format of the story told in interviews with the characters. At first it takes a look back or two to sort them out, but once that is done the story flows well for me.

Have a good week-end

10 comments:

  1. Beautiful painting, and good advice about eating too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra,
      I miss your baby robins.
      I thought about your when I posted Hopper's painting...as in I need to show more of my artwork. :)

      Delete
  2. Eating less and eating less and eating less...and now I am sooo hungry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tabor,
      It takes time to get use to eating less.
      So far for me its slow going.

      Delete
  3. Well isn't blogging wonderful. I immediately thought "I know the name Edward Hopper" but I couldn't recall any of his works. So, of course, I Googled it. A whole pizza and glass of red later I realised that i had just spent half an hour reading about him and looking at his works. I realised that I had seen some of his works and reflected on the similarity of some to those of the Scottish artist Jack Vetriano (who is still alive and therefore more recent). Coincidentally i had just arrived home from the opening of an art exhibition on the Island. It tries to be an annual event (and usually succeeds these days) but I go to every opening if I can because I was at the first one back in the 1970s.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Graham,
      Thank you for Vetriano's name. I'm not familiar with his work. I'll check it out online.
      Have a good weekend

      Delete
  4. I've never seen that Hopper painting - thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Quinn,
      I hope you and your critters enjoyed the break in the rainy weather.

      I put the Hopper painting as wallpaper. The more I look at it, the more I like it.

      Delete
  5. I had never heard of Edward Hopper, but I do love that painting. I'll have to look up more of his work. Good luck on the weight loss!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Carol,
    Hopper had an interesting life.
    Thank you for the good luck wishes.
    Have a wonderful week-end

    ReplyDelete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated