16 May 2017

Have Stuff Hanging Around Needing a New Life or a New Home?

Its been years since I first bagged up some plastic box strapping. The idea is to use the material as stays, and in found object art pieces. Out of nowhere on Mother's Day at 4 AM, there I was cutting strapping pieces while the hot glue gun warms up. Cutting the edges of the pages is a task and a half. The paper in the spine parts is still shedding.
This is what I made.

"Reference," Found object art

Title inspiration
Early progress
Mostly likely I will add objects, and maybe a bit of paint. The bottom will have a stand to match the top. It is made from an old pressed board shelf piece, old falling apart books, leather from an old purse, and a broken apart frame. The paper will be sprayed with a matte finish sealant when the weather is warmer. The paper absorbs the spray, as in takes longer to dry.

10 comments:

  1. Very interesting piece of art, especially since it's made from re-used objects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Loree
      The metal frame from the leather purse and the same book pieces will be in another found object piece.

      Delete
  2. I just love this May, you certainly have tapped into a fantastic source of creative energy! I had to laugh when you said 4:00am...when the spirit moves...we gotta run with it! It's been years since I had a glue gun in hand...it is such a good feeling. Keep them coming...I feel a theme coming on! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeanne,
      Gilt book edges fascinates me. There are two more projects using the materials I hope to finish soon.

      Delete
  3. It is really beautiful, and the variety of materials you used work together so perfectly! I would love to see it once you varnish it. You are up at 4am?...wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Celia
      For a few days warm temperatures and sun are in the forecast. The first coat of sealant will go on this afternoon.

      Delete
  4. Truly imaginative. My brain never seems to wander to such whimsy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tabor,
      Where you brain wanders, as evident on your blog, is quite inspiring. I can see you doing well with found objects art.

      Delete
  5. This is beautiful. It is art gallery-worthy. Do more, and then show the world. Really!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debra
      I've been working on two more to make this piece a triptych. The thing about going with the flow is running out of materials.

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated