09 March 2017

Clouds and Gesso

March Storm Clouds, digital photo edited to darken the clouds

Storm clouds have a fascination point that quickly disappears as they roll by. The picture reminds me of a sky monster ready to spew out rain while the branches of the trees below are at the ready to fight any destruction. The moving texture, the depth and color changes are the key points that inspire me. I think that may be why I like gesso skins so much, the dry gesso on the inside of the gallon jug and lid.
Gesso Skin Abstract in Progress, 12" x 16"

The second photo is such a project that's been in progress for a few months. I arranged the gesso skins on a background, (sometimes plain white), and then observe before I apply more gesso, objects and/or color. I'm not sure about if I will change this one because I like it the way it is.
Familiarity from looking at it so long or true admiration are questions that will be answered one day. Maybe. One of the problems is size. I need three or five gallons in a five gallon bucket to create the gesso skins I want to work with. That is an expensive budget breaking project. There are recipes for homemade gesso. I will try it out on a small scale to see if that route produces good gesso skins.

Decades ago unpacking brochures at work, I had to remove a type of thick white paper with one glossy side, big sheets of it. I was fascinated by the texture. Indeed, as I recall, I took a piece home for a wall sculpture. One day, I thought, I will make a real sculpture from that or of that paper. I've had plenty of time thinking about the process, materials to use, and, why the image fascinates me. I think its began with the crackle of paper, reminders of the sounds a fetus hears in the womb, and the placenta, once fluid of life, in the air to dry, pieces of direction as opposed to refuse. Gesso skins to me are a renewal of life through their artistic value. Gesso skins breath adventure.

14 comments:

  1. The cloud photo is dramatic, Maywyn. You have made a beautiful art piece with the Gesso, I love it!! I find your idea fascinating, I bet you could find more skins at the recycling center, even different colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Celia,
      Thank you. I didn't think about old paint. That's a great idea.

      Delete
  2. Hmmmm...food for thought here. I also like texture, especially white together-I mean different whites. Something wonderful about it. And gesso is color and texture together. Lovely idea, and I like what you're doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debra,
      I hope you give the process a try. Some of the gesso skin could be used for faces on your dolls while the material is still pliable.
      Celia's suggestion is a new direction I look forward to trying.

      Delete
  3. Dear Maywyn - loved your thoughts on March's stormy skies. As for the Gesso skins - they do make great art for mixed media projects. I also like to take my acrylic palette ones and scrape them off for future works. Hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Debbie,
    Yes, the acrylic paint splashes dried! lol I save them sometimes myself. Thank you. Hugs to you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful photo and beautiful gesso skin. Very creative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Loree,
      Sad about the Azure Window. The two edges look like friends chatting.
      http://www.kuriositas.com/2011/10/azure-window-soon-to-be-azure-pinnacle.html

      Delete
  6. My goodness, you do think like an artist. I do like the blend of textures though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tabor,
      Though ? :)
      Your daffodils creature made my day. Thank you

      Delete
  7. What a great juxtaposition of stormy skies and gesso skins. I'll never look at the inside of a paint tin the same again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lorrie,
      I love your "While I Wait for Spring" post today! I've been thinking about hard boiled eggs and pickled beets ever since reading it. lol

      I saw on "This Old House," the Arlington, MA project a material called wacky wood, a flexible plywood. I'm looking forward to trying it out for a wall sculpture.

      Delete
  8. Wonderful stormy skies and gesso....and grey and white... colours I like a lot at the moment. Now I will be looking at dried paint with new eyes thanks to you.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Helen,
      Love your Spring Things post
      The colors of the bunny dress are what I'll be looking for in fabric for a Spring tunic.
      Have a lovely week!

      Delete

Thank you for visiting
Polite comments are welcome