Pages

Poetry

03 February 2017

The Cold Days of Winter and Fibromyalgia


Every season has its tips to share, sun screen in summer, umbrellas for spring showers, best pies in autumn, cabin fever in winter. Cleaning fans and flu season are the two I post about most. This year I'm adding a tip about the aches and pains.

Fibromyalgia is a drag. At times it makes me feel as if my feet are made of lead. The best way I keep the pain down is exercise. That's not easy when one is inactive with depression. My tip is to Exercise, stretch out, join a group, walk with friends, talk to your doctor first, and think about how healthy you want to be with a good exercise routine. Don't hesitate to get a review from either gym or physical therapist. Know your limits and have a plan that's best for you.
If you don't know what Fibromyalgia is, then follow the link or look it up on the Internet.
Back in the day despite all my symptoms, it was a coworker showing me a magazine article for me to read, and not a doctor. My primary care physician back then (decades ago) didn't know or know much about fibromyalgia. It took time, but I learned how to live with the aches and pain. And Exercise is key to my feeling better.

6 comments:

  1. I'm told it can be really painful, so well done to you for tackling it and exercising to keep yourself moving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jenny,
      I've read that it's not a progressive condition where it gets worse. The pain can get worse if a person doesn't exercise, move around some.

      Delete
  2. So glad that you know how to deal with this. I have a friend who is working through this, only she is much younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tabor,
      It takes time to adjust to all the issues that come with it, sleep, mood, IBS. Time and understanding sort of smooth the sharper edges. Prayers to your friend

      Delete
  3. I'm so sorry. I have heard of the pain. Gentle moving Helps my back after an art show, I hate exercise is really have to push to do it , sending you love and vitamin D I take that,love,Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Diana,
      Love seeing you beautiful watercolors and Sadie. :)
      I try to dance to TV commercials, and stretch while waiting for coffee. Ah, the vitamin D! I had to push myself to remember. I put the pill at a special place, but after a while I notice there's a little group of them rolling around. Now I remember to take one every day. :)

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated