Pages

Poetry

20 February 2017

President's Day

Today is a holiday, no mail, no banks, always the shopping. Nearly all the major holidays in America are about shopping. Memorial Day and 9/11 are the exceptions. This is a good day to take time to pray for America, and reflect on the positive contributions you can make in a peaceful manner, doing no harm, volunteering, voting, and such.

Me this morning...Up early sorting papers, left over lentil soup for breakfast, and I found the receipt I was looking for by chance after going through too much stuff. (The save pile is significantly smaller than the recycle and shred  stacks.)

In all of that sorting, I also found an article saved from The Artist's Magazine, July 2000, "A Luminous Start," by Judi Betts. You can see her work at the Baton Rouge Gallery in Louisiana. The style of watercolor, the light and warmth of it is perfect for illustrating the fairy tale that I'll be posting this Sunday, 26 February for Tell a Fairy Tale Day. Its ambitious to select a watercolor style I have yet to try. Challenging ourselves is the momentum for going forward, giving ourselves a chance to learn and succeed. In a good way, that's part of being an American.

8 comments:

  1. Such a nice post, Maywyn. I looked at the artist's link-how lovely....It would certainly be a challenge to me to try to paint in that style-isn't it interesting how artists develop their own unique 'fingerprint' in style? I think it is a good thing to try out many different ways of painting, or art making, until you find your own little niche.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debra
      With each style we try, I think we learn. I'm hoping to learn better control over light. :)

      Delete
  2. There's a day for everyone and everything but I don't mind it if means more holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Loree,
      More holidays are great! In the winter months they mean even more. Summer feels like a constant celebration.

      Delete
  3. Great post Maywyn. I love Judi Betts work. She has such a unique style. Hope your week is off to a great start. Been busy so catching up with you finally. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie,
      Hugs! Enjoy the warmer weather. I think we have a bit more winter before Spring takes command.

      Delete
  4. I am always drawn to watercolors. So subtle and done with amazing control. I have not talent but would love to take a class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tabor,
      Amazing can be greater if you buy a school paint box and pad at the local store, and play with the watercolors anyway you feel. That's how you can learn control. Then buy the best brushes, better paper and paint you prefer. Student grade is for classrooms. Learning from the best eliminates adjusting to change overs. Quality watercolor paint and brushes shows.

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated