19 December 2016

Winter Landscapes

Beneath the Snow Encumbered Branches, 1903, Joseph Farquharson, 1846-1935
Selecting a winter landscape to post here, and study isn't a matter of ... Oh look there's snow. The painting has to be breath taking... Oh wow!

The Scottish painter, Joseph Farquharson, known for his winter landscapes, lifts light and snow to an ethereal plane in "Beneath the Snow Encumbered Branches." There is a tree study there that will be hours and hours of delight. I know that (methinks morning) sun through the trees of Vermont winters. I imagine many of you know that sunlight light as well. The blue in the sky in the upper left  quietly graces the shadows on the sheep and snow. This painting is one of many that are as lovely and stunning.
Farquharson Tartan Modern, 2011 photo D.MacDuff 




Farquharson 1842 Tartan, 2007 photo, Celtus

10 comments:

  1. Dear Maywyn this painting is certainly one of those wow ones. The color of the light, the feel of the cold, the shepherd greeting the sheep makes one an instant partaker in the whole experience. This was the perfect choice dear friend. I hope you know how much I enjoy my visits here. May your Christmas be the best ever and Your New Year be filled with wonderful blessings. Merry Christmas! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie,
    Your recent winter photographs on your blog wow me as well. You always have the best words to go with them. Happiest of Holidays to You & Yours
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just lovely-thank you for this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra,
      Happy Winter!
      Seeing that painting for the first time feels like opening up a gift.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing this gorgeous find!! The soft shadows and light, amazing artist!
    I wish you a happy, joyful Christmas season!!Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Happy & Joyful Christmas Season to You & Yours Celia!

      Delete
  5. I did not know his work, which dismays me because (a) it is really, really nice and (b) I am very fond of that kind of Victorian painting. It really is a cut above the usual. I will look for more of his work. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Holidays to Your & Yours Jennie!
      There are 83 Farquharson works of art on wikiart.org. It surprises me to read the painting posted is used on greeting cards. I've seen only one so far that reminds me of a greeting card, and it isn't the above.

      Delete
  6. Just had to come back for another look....I also LOVED the painting with the green and snow-exquisite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra,
      The painting is a beautiful wallpaper for cell phone. :)
      After seeing Twachtman's, "An Early Winter," painting, I've been seeing green grass through the snow everywhere I go.

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated