23 December 2016

Holiday Project Instead of Vegging Out

Craft material and found object collections, (I've posted about before), can get out of hand. The more I find, the more I laugh at myself. Silly artist. I do eventually use the lumber. In the mean time, it takes up space, and gets in the way. There aren't many pieces, but enough to warrant down sizing. Thus, on Christmas week-end for fun, I will begin creating an armature for a faux deer head with antlers that's been on my will do list for years.
Vintage wallpaper deer silhouettes

Several years ago I did not like animal hide rugs, bleached animal skulls, and antler decor. I felt there was so much of it, it looked phony. Slowly I grew to like the deer, elk, and moose element. Remember the 2015 deer post?

The problem with the project is the size. Working on the plaster of Paris layers, sculpting the shape, my imagination sees one that's almost life size. I'm going for butternut squash size. I will post my progress as it develops instead of one big post. The goal is to keep busy doing something fun and constructive during the holiday week-end.


10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful project and I look forward to seeing your work Maywyn. It will be a lovely thing to create especially on a wintry weekend.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen,
      Happiest of Holidays to You & Yours! Your blog has been a good inspirational source as always.

      Looking at my small wood pile, the first thing is to make the back board for the armature.

      Delete
  2. This morning I was thinking about setting aside a day for linocutting. Trouble is, I can't be in one position for more than 10-15 minutes without increased pain levels that last and last, which makes it No Fun At All to get engrossed in a project at a table or workbench or anywhere, really. Writing this out is helpful, because now I will make a deliberate plan for short-session efforts. Don't know how well it will work, missing out on that hours-pass-while-lost-in-artwork experience, but one can only try!
    Good luck with your armature-building :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Quinn,
      Happiest of Holiday fun to You & Yours!
      Talking to Piper and the goats will help. I've always had good luck with decisions after talking it over with pets.
      For the most part, I'll be standing at the table covered with drop cloth and plastic. I keep a chair behind me for resting. I hope to have everything I need within reach.

      Delete
  3. Dear Maywyn - what a clever artistic endeavor. Definitely a great way to have fun over the holidays. Are you getting snow? We are going to be green in spite of last week's cold...go figure...oh well I am going to enjoy 44 degrees :)! Take care friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie,
      No snow, sunshine, partly cloudy and high 30ºF weather here. :)
      Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  4. I look forward to seeing your progress. One of the great things about being creative is that you are never really at a loss for things to do. Have a lovely holiday season!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny,
      I love your holiday photographs.
      My first thoughts this morning are how to put the deer together. lol
      Merry Holiday Season!

      Delete
  5. Maywyn-I am anxious to see your work-I have toyed with the idea of faux taxidermy using fabric. I can't figure out how to attach the figure to the base though...Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra,
      You might love that website with the wire instructions.
      I'm going to try bending brads over the wire back and forth, and staples. In the center, a roofing nail to attached the lampshade frame to the nail with coated wire.

      Merry Christmas!

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated