05 December 2016

Fine Artists: A Bit of Thought

What do you look for?
Squares on a wall? Forms in a space? Dangling from above? Light and shape chatting with you?
Looking at art, I believe, places the person in a mode of learning that has a quiet process attached to the realm of Community. You're aware subconsciously when you view art, there are many others that engaged in the same. You may be the only person in the room, but you aren't alone. We connect through art. Our brains cells compete with each other. Frolic or console, ourselves like to see how somebody else is thinking.

Self Portrait at the Easel, Rembrandt, 1660

Learning about art, my inspiration began with Rembrandt, 1606~1669. More than any other artist, for many years, he stands out as the one I felt guided by. Renoir in high school, Durer in college, and Van Gogh onward until returning to college many years into adulthood when I began learning more about American artists. I still like Van Gogh (even though his popularity feels strained). A book of Durer's drawings is the art book I look at most often.

By the Water (Near the Lake), 1880, Pierre-Auguste Renoir


Renoir's sparkling sunlight and story telling painting makes him still a favorite. I also just like the name Renoir. It has a classy flare to it. Impressionism isn't as difficult to achieve as realism. Thus, when setting out painting that genre felt accessible to me.
Copying in the 19th Century, I believe, was an important and often used way of learning how to be an artist. Today, copying is cringe worthy... enter the Internet copy and paste works without permission that aren't in the public domain like those posted here.

What artists first inspired you? Have they changed over the years?

2 comments:

  1. My idea of the kind of art I like has changed over the years. I was always very fond of Victorian narrative paintings in the days when they were dreadfully unfashionable, but I think that was because I liked how they showed in photographic detail a time that was not our own. Usually you don't get a feeling of how the past looked in colour and detail. Van Gogh always stands out, and he did do lots of paintings which are not familiar at all, so we don't just have to stick with the well known ones. I never used to like Picasso but I have realised since seeing much more of his work how astonishingly talented he was, and a true genius. Art just WAS him, I think. I have also grown lately to appreciate Monet who seems to have been able to convey what his subject was actually like, even if he didn't paint it particularly representationally. Saw some Monets in Japan that I had not see before, even in reproductions. This is an interesting post, as you see from the length of my comment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny,
      I briefly read a headline about "Alice in Wonderland," and it turns out to be about Brexit, Times Higher Education article.

      Of all places, Pinterest is where I've been introduced to many unfamiliar Van Gogh paintings. I had a similar struggle with Picaso. I wasn't keen on him until I saw his blue period. Genius.
      Thank you. I worry about posting commentary being I'm not up on the scholarly writing that you do so well.

      Delete

Thank you for visiting
Polite comments are welcome