25 May 2016

Post of the Week: Name this Butterfly


The butterfly or moth in the photo is half the size of the Monarch Butterfly that I usually see.  There are moths that look like Monarch Butterflies. I can't tell from the angle of the photo what this insect's name is. I can see black dots on the bottom of the wings. Monarchs and Viceroys don't have that. I also thought when butterflies emerge from the cocoon, they are their adult size, no growing up bigger.
Searching the Internet, the insect looks by size and black dots on wings close to a Phaon Crescent Butterfly. However, their habitat isn't listed this far north. I check out the Wikipedia page for Phyciodes > Northern Crescent > Whala! I think that is the name of the butterfly in the photo. Oh no! Wait....is it the Tawny Crescent Butterfly?
For sure, the next time this butterfly stops by, I'll take a better look. It flew away before I could take more photos.

12 comments:

  1. I think you've got it! We went through a butterfly house in Denver last summer, and I thought I could look at the signage from there, to tell you - alas, it wasn't on there. We have these in Vegas, too. Hope you get to see some butterflies today - Happy almost weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tanya, I believe you're right, it is a tawny crescent butterfly.
      I saw on flittering around the lawn this morning.
      Have a jolly good week-end!

      Delete
  2. I don't know anything about butterflies but I love to look at them and I liked your picture very much - thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny,
      I love all the photos of you recent blog post. The one of the horses is fantastic.
      Have a wonderful week-end!

      Delete
  3. Whatever type of butterfly, it is a very beautiful one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat,
      Yes, what I believe is a Tawny Crescent butterfly is beautiful. This is the first year I recall seeing this cute butterfly here.
      Have a great week!

      Delete
  4. Whatever it is, it is welcome here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeri,
      Keep an eye out, you they might be in your garden already.
      It would fit on one eye glass lens, flies quickly, short rests, and appears to prefer the lawn.
      Have a good week

      Delete
  5. Dear Maywyn I am so totally ignorant to what butterfly is which. Need to work on this area. I do love seeing them and your photo is no exception. Hope you had a great weekend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie,
      Naming butterflies is like remembering the names for the type of cloud. :)
      Hope you have a good week

      Delete
  6. I couldn't find its name but it's so pretty! Butterflies are so ethereal creatures, love them so much. You captured it beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Olympia,
      Your spring vacation blog post is like living spring all over again. Beautiful photos.
      I think the butterfly is the Tawny Crescent butterfly. I hope to get more pictures for a clear identification.
      Wishing you a wonderful week

      Delete

Thank you for visiting
Polite comments are welcome