15 March 2016

Pi & Sprouts



Pi Day was yesterday 14 March 2016. The photograph has a pi center in the back of the front branches. I missed posting this on time even though I found the pi in the photo days earlier. The Schedule post feature can be a friend.





Acorn squash sprouting!
I saw the first bit last night, and this morning there's more!
The seeds are saved from a Thanksgiving Day squash. I think that's a neat tradition to carry on.

The weather has been so mild, I'm thinking there may be an early planting season this May before Memorial Day week-end.







The seeds are in plastic food containers until they are large enough to plant in peat pots. The domed small pie containers fits snugly four small peat pots. Ideally, I think the large salad bar container is the best because its the deepest.
I cut holes with a sharp sculpture tool, and then rounded off the openings with a knitting needle. Remove the container lid to regulate the moisture when the planters are in the sun. In such a small space they could easily boil.






8 comments:

  1. Sprouting seeds! What could be cheerier, especially on another rainy day? I've been trying to find my plastic trays and lids for seed starting. I put them in a safe place last year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Quinn,
      Didn't you perk up you kitchen last winter? I hope you find them in time.
      Every time I organize, I lose things. It gives new direction to spring cleaning this year...everything in one place.

      Delete
  2. Dear Maywyn great photo friend. Loved seeing your squash seeds sprouting. What a wonderful site. Makes me want to get busy planting some early seeds indoors. Take care and have a super week. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie,
      Thank you. Only two days above ground and they need the last and larger space before planting.
      Happy Seeding! I look forward to seeing your plants sprout.

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of saving a seed and growing it, I wonder if the squash will be ready to pick next Thanksgiving? I haven't been doing much gardening lately and Ive been missing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny,
      I'm hoping starting this early will insure the squash will be ready for Thanksgiving. I'm not sure now which is which. I planted blue Hubbard and acorn. The note tape to the top if the plastic dome was removed to let in more sun. Oops. :)

      Delete
  4. Hi Maywyn, I think that you will be pleased with your squash this year. Saving seeds is such a good idea. Ours get better and better every year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gina,
      An acorn squash plant I'll try to grow in a container. The others are gifts for Easter. Its amazing how fast they are growing!
      Happy Spring!

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated