06 December 2015

Winter Landscapes: Spraying on the Snow

American Homestead Winter~Currier & Ives, 1869 via Wikiart.org



Thinking of winter landscape art Currier and Ives and Grandma Moses are the names that come to mind. Homey. Cozy. Gathering. Togetherness. Fun. Laughter. Those words far out weight the chattering teeth, wet feet, chapped skin and thawing out foot pain.
Painting snow scenes feels the opposite of cold and dreary. In elementary school I remember the holiday make parents a gift— hot plate for mother, ash tray for father. The hot plate requires white spray paint over the image we painted on a hot plate form. I remember the newspaper on the floor with my little artwork in the center being transformed into a magical landscape. It was a true awareness moment that snow is beauty, and that image is mine! I laugh about it now when I think of how mesmerized I was. I wanted to white spray everything! Art in school is the one course that always captured my soul. Thus, this time of year is especially warm through those special innocent memories.

Spraying on snow? Fun yes. Easy no. Finding the right brush can take time, even when you have a set of old standby brushes. Mixing the correct viscosity of paint requires practice. Watercolor paintings take more care so as not to ruin the image with a blob of paint (that almost in slow motion lands on the surface where its not at all wanted). Practice on a separate sheet of paper taking note of how you achieve the right spray. Glazing fluid is thicker than water, and to me easier to mix the right way for the fluid paint to move from brush flicking to paper or canvas.


It was fun adding snow to this blogs favorite banner.

6 comments:

  1. It is the saving grace of snow, really, isn't it, that it is so beautiful. Its dazzling transformation of the world is enough to make us forgive it for the discomfort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful said, Jenny
      Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  2. I loved those grade school projects, too. AND, I LOVE the new banner up there - snow and all! I miss snow, here in the desert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tanya,
      Thank you. I searched for an online make a photo snow without success. Google+ use to have an edit program. They are out there though.

      Delete
  3. Honestly it just wouldn't be winter without a bit of that white stuff. Love Currier and Ives. Just know I would have enjoyed dashing through the snow in a sled pulled by a horse or two. Have happy day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie,
      The sleigh bells jingling with the horses is what I like most about sleigh rides. Maybe there's a sleigh ride in you local area.
      Have a fantastic snow less week! :)

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated