14 October 2015

Vermont's New Haven River

Water is a powerful force



Water will flow down to its base level (lowest point where it can flow). Along with the flow debris is carried along with it, changing the landscape according to the length, gradient, and types' of materials being moved along the path. It is an important process in Earth's rock cycle. The New Haven River in Lincoln and Bristol, Vermont is a fascinating location, a geology lab of erosion by water.


Note on the boulder in the foreground the surface changes from weathering and water; and, the smooth versus rough surfaces of stones, and their locations in the river. There was a time when I could explain the processes, types of rocks and such. Alas, my geology brain is rusty, but not my interest.



The boulder on the lower right has a braided stream type of markings from what I think is a slower movement of constant water going over the surface at one time. Markings can also be due to the composition of the stone, what wears away faster.




Looking down from the parking area you can see the what and where a river deposits material picked up in the flow downward. The location is  below where the photograph above are taken. The shadow on the upper left is a huge boulder. The area is too steep for me to go down there when I'm alone.




Note the pinkish tan stone in the upper right two stones below the tree branch that has a floral pattern of erosion. Placement in the stream or how it was formed naturally reaction to the movement of the water? Probably both.

2 comments:

  1. I love rocks too. I have a small collection of them, but a huge collection of big ones in my gardens. I'm not a good builder using them, but I like to make walls and round gardens lined with rock walls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra,
      I love rock walls. They can be fun to build, hunting for the right fit.
      I didn't find the perfect tree in color, but the ride and river makes up for it.
      Have a wonderful weekend!

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated