17 October 2015

Foliage Photography Excursion: Day None

I had a wonderful time. The perfect maple tree has been seen several times. Alas, Autumn is all about change. Returning later on to take photographs isn't usually practical because the tree surely won't be the same. If the area has no safe place to pull off and away from traffic, then the pictures aren't meant to be.  Drive safely moving on with the memory in your heart and mind.

While there were many stunning trees, one captured my attention more than any other.  I round a turn, and there it is on the right. A not very tall thick trunked bright golden red maple with a sturdy lower branch bending up into a smooth elbow.  Leaves are leaves, but branches have uber personality.  That tree trunk appears to stand proud as if holding up the entire structure of dark bark and foliage. I thought immediately, I will paint you. 
Watercolor Memory Color Sketches

I mentally set out to photograph the most magnificent trees on Earth. Ironically, the  tree I heart most is one I don't have a picture of. Nature modified my plans.  I was sad at one point because I felt my dreams had to be adjusted too far.  Once I looked back at old pictures, my spirits lifted.
I'm pleased with enough images to paint from now through the winter months. The favorite tree will take many memory color sketches to get right. I know the image by the face it presented to me in those few seconds.

8 comments:

  1. How beautiful! I also love your header!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda,
    Thank you. I hope you are enjoying the fall season up there in Canada.
    Have a wonderful week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My world is aglow, and I am enjoying it immensely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Quinn,
      That's wonderful news! I hope you have a chance to sketch.

      Delete
  4. Ah Maywyn your memory sketch is gorgeous. This time of the year inspires one to capture those vibrant colors. So glad you shared. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie,
      Thank you! I look forward to see you beautiful fall watercolors.

      Delete
  5. And I recognize that bend in the tree arm from the photo on the other post...you've done it proud. Glad you're safe in pulling off the roadways. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tanya,
      There's a lot to miss when not a passenger. Have a great week!

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated