14 September 2015

Wood Rash

Who Would'a Thought!
Long story short...In a specific spot on my shin there's a sore area I thought was from razor burn. I know it isn't  from bumping into something or from walking in tall grass or woods. I applied an antibiotic cream. Still, it didn't go away. Last night I put on cream for a closer look with a mirror, and found its a bumpy rash. I then realize that's the exact spot my shin sometimes rests on the corner of my desk side drawer! Wood rash!? Thankfully, its getting better since I've been avoiding contact between the desk and shin.

Searching online today I find a fantastic website with an article, "Wood Allergies and Toxicity," by Eric Meier listing woods with allergy information in an easy to read list form on The Wood Database.

My vintage desk is maple with a very thin finish. That finish over time can wear away exposing the raw wood especially on a corner where wear is the highest.

I recall taking apart an old sofa for the steel springs to use for a sculpture, and the wood for other projects. After all, even a cheap sofa can have really hard wood to recycle. In that case I believe it was probably white oak. I notice then when my arm rubs on the raw wood, a rash develops.  Can you imagine what the dust in a workshop will do when it leaves an itchy red rash on the skin!? Not good.

Please, take care in the workshop and sanding down vintage wood pieces.

9 comments:

  1. Dear Maywyn- sorry about your wood rash. Love the bunny picture. He certainly makes me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie,
      The bunny is chewing clover when I took the photo.
      Thank you. The wood rash is disappearing. Its not easy sitting a different way when I'm at my desk though.
      Have a good evening

      Delete
  2. Interesting! I would expect wood finishes to cause problems for some people, and possibly some woods from other places that we may not be accustomed to handling - although that hasn't happened to me yet, knock on wood! But having a contact reaction to good ol' maple and oak? Well, as you say.who would'a thought?! I hope it doesn't continue to bother you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Quinn,
      Rash is gone. What's left are small scratches from a jagged spot on the corner. I may have to sew myself a pair of desk chaps when its shorts season or paint the desk. I hadn't pine all the time without any problems at all.
      I saw goats on the Tiny House show, and right away starting thinking of your goats. They have such strong personalities.

      Delete
    2. That should be...handle pine

      Delete
  3. oh god a wood allergy.. good to know it was too serious.. but that sucks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hena,
      I read the list on the Wood Database, and I'm surprised there are that many that can cause allergy issues.
      I thinking more the desk will look better painted. I'm glad it wasn't worse as well. It was mostly nasty looking.
      Have a wonderful week!

      Delete
  4. Who woulda' thunk is right! Hope it's all better, and you're wearing long socks! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Tanya, its all better.
      Feels nice to be wearing long pants again. lol

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated