13 September 2015

The Perfect Tree

By the Stream, 1885 Paul Gauguin

The planning for my autumn foliage photography excursion is enhanced by looking at what artists find interesting to paint.  Browsing Wikiart.org right away I see representing one of the main trees I'll be looking for...bright golden and glowing... a painting by Paul Gauguin, 1873-1903. I wouldn't have guessed he'd be the artist I'd find for spot on autumn foliage.
This discovery is cause to think.
Van Gogh has his "Trunk of an Old Yew Tree." In response, I chose an American Chestnut to paint (in progress). It will be interesting to see what I chose from viewing Gauguin's "By the Stream."
Methinks bringing paint and canvases with me when I'm out and about scouting for photographs this autumn is a very good idea.

4 comments:

  1. Dear Maywin-I love these posts-the dragonfly, and all the tree photos. I do hope you will show your own painting here~you are so good! I love to see your own art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debra,
      Thank you. I love seeing your wonderful artwork as well.
      Have a fantastic week!

      Delete
  2. Oh Maywyn this is a gorgeous painting by Gauguin. Hope you will share yours when you have it finished. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Debbie,
    For sure I will be posting my artwork of the autumn foliage this year.
    Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated