10 September 2015

Tech Popularity and Instagram


In the left column, the Instagram icon you click on to see my Instagram photographs works, but I haven't posted any pictures as yet. I'm looking to post outdoor photos, mainly of Vermont in the autumn.

What I've learned so far about Instagram is that the control is on the actual phone for the photos. I can log into my account online, but to change the profile picture, I have to tap on it using the phone. This computer has no tap feature.

A few years ago I  notice more of the people I know and/or read on the Internet moved to Facebook as their primary cyber source of chatting. The problems I have with that is sharing with people via your friend's page that you don' t know that well. One might feel safe with their friends. However, there are no guarantees all the people your friends chose to include are people you feel safe including.  

After the Facebook, Twitter became popular, then Pinterest, and now Instagram.  With a bumpy start (copyright issues), I feel having a Pinterest account was slower in gaining popularity. (Look at it now with buy pins feature.)  Instagram requiring a phone (not all people have), I speculate means popularity will probably increase as the sale of iphone and Android phones increases. 

For better service, I upgraded my phone. The learning curve is fairly steep from my view of having a storage space/memory/RAM mentality where I worry if everything will fit and not slow down the system. I still cringe when I think of the time I clicked to download a photo of a nebula that chewed up nearly all the memory my computer had because the files is so huge. I think I could have wallpapered a room with it had I allowed the download to continue.

Overall, I'm not savvy with all the latest technology, but I try to keep up at the speed that best fits my lifestyle. I don't have a tablet because I don't need one; and, the service needed to use it isn't budget friendly for me.  Learning wise, I understand more now what apps are about. I actually began wondering the other day if I can create my own app.  Thankfully, that moment passed quickly.

10 comments:

  1. Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. I don't use Instragram. I have been to Vermont many times, and in all seasons, and think it is stunning! I think Vermont, and here in Quebec, we have the most dramatic Autumn colour changes of the leaves. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi LInda,
      Oh for sure Canada has beautiful foliage! We share much of the same geology.
      I hope this year there's spectacular color.
      Have a great week-end! Thank you for stopping by

      Delete
  2. I rarely explore new-to-me tech unless I think it will it be useful in some way. FB has never interested me at all. Pinterest is my visual file cabinet. Twitter has been a surprise; I couldn't see any use for it until I tried following international news there during an election a few years back - it was so much faster than following a half-dozen news websites. And now twitter is a daily thing, and I really enjoy some of the interactions...just today I learned a new thing about weaning calves. And of course that is where I "met" the British printmaker who hosted #DrawingAugust :)
    I've seen quite a few bloggers disappear into IG, never to return. I understand why people enjoy it so much, but I think I had to draw the line somewhere on my time spent online. Blogs, Twitter, and Ravelry...those are my big three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Quinn,
      Instagram provides a different style of view. Pinterest is my favorite to file away stuff.
      But, I wonder about how much of ourselves we share that others see in different ways, profile wise, than we do or maybe actually are. Its not easy to complain about companies following where we browse on the Internet when we give so much of who we are away willingly via Pinterest, Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, blogging, and such.
      Have a great week-end!

      Delete
  3. I've been thinking that I need to post to Instagram also. Let me know all the little tricks and tips that you figure out! I don't think the quality of the images looks as good on Instagram. But maybe that's just me. And I agree with you, that its confusing how you can only post from your phone! We'll learn, though. It's all fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine,
      It is fun. Learning how to use Instagram helps me feel confident, less of a clutz.
      I learned today the Instagram app can be downloaded to a computer. It looks technical though.

      Delete
  4. Oh, Maywyn, what is the link to your instagram? How do I find you there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the left column under View Complete Profile, the camera icon is the link to my Instagram page.

      Delete
  5. I'll just stick to blogging for now-maybe that will end someday too...I didn't know Instagram users had to have a phone-huh-that leaves me out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra,
      Cell phones are more affordable today, especially Tracfone, a prepaid service.
      I bought mine for emergencies years ago for winter and night driving. I rarely use it. As I get older, its like have a life line with me. A phone isn't required to view an Instagram page.

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated