12 July 2015

More Corn Husks Photographs

After a few days of drying these corn husks are the same color as the day these pictures were taken. I like the palest green color, but still want autumn ecru.

A few years ago I became fascinated with dry gladiola  and cosmos petals, then dry grape stems, and now corn husks. A theme, methinks, can develop in our artist brain before we fully acknowledge it.

Searching online images I see many other uses for corn husks beside the usual doll figures. The flowers made from the material shake up the imagination. Years ago during a sculpture course at UVM (University of Vermont), I sketched sculptures for metal, and made a steel sculpture. The corn husks remind me of those forms. Alas,the woe is the series hasn't been possible because I don't have access to a machine shop or know how to weld. Eventually someday that will change.


Until then, discovery the art of corn husks will have to do. This is one of the rewarding aspects of being an artist...discovering art.

4 comments:

  1. I'd love to see your sketches for the steel sculptures! I, too, am fascinated by the shapes and forms of corn husks! Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Katherine.
      I love your drawing on the Joon Trunk series label. It will be surreal seeing your art
      in the store.

      Delete
  2. Tried to leave a comment but suddenly found myself on a totally different page! I think typing with one hand is tricky.

    Anyway, in case my original comment is gone forever, it was something like this: I always have a hard time discarding husks from corn, and often keep them for days or longer before returning them to the garden. I look forward to seeing what you do with yours :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Quinn,
      Glad you and Campion are feeling better.
      If you leave a comment before logging in on Blogger, the post will disappear most of the time. Or blogger could have a glitch. I've ended up on pages I didn't chose, mainly getting bounced to the Google page for their new all in one place feature.
      I tested how pliable the husks are after a week, and found they are delicate but sturdy. I have thoughts of ironing them with steam to shape.

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated