02 June 2015

Automatic Drawing?

Browsing Wikiart.org is perhaps a better alternative to playing computer games (for hours on end) to exercise the mind, especially for an artist. New ideas, inspiration, validation, and discovery are a few of the bonuses one can reap from such an exercise.

A few months or more ago, (maybe last year even) paper margin doodling took on a different style than my usual doodling. With a light wrist, I let the pen draw random, not pressured, lines, up down, back and forth, around lines. If recognizable shapes begin to emerge, I stop.  (It has been actually over a year this began.)

This year I've taken that doodling to sketchbook pages hoping the feeling of less tension won't be lost on the larger surface. Adjusting from small to large and vice versa has its issues. Thankfully the relaxing doodling feeling remains.

Drawing, pencil and marker
Last night I sit down to challenge myself to replicate that ease in deliberate sketching. The goal is to just draw without over thinking it. Ugh. The tan eraser leaves smudging on the paper. I like it. I leave it. After studying the pencil sketch and smudges, I decide to make more. After the more making, I take a black felt tip marker to add more lines. The circles are tracings from the cover I kept from a mocha frappe (that gave me the worse brain freezes I've ever had [with just a small sip]).
Today browsing WikiArt.org, I see "Automatic Painting." I look. Aha! Problem. I'm not a machine that Automatic Painting requires by definition.
The process isn't really doodling or scribbling where one deliberately makes shapes.  There are no flowers, leaves, stars, letters, numbers,  astronauts, ships or cars, no familiar object shapes. Whatever it is, the mind's participation is the force that moves the hand. In my estimation, this way of drawing feels like my muse, Cyrl, is on a spa day.

Where do your drawings take  you?

6 comments:

  1. I find myself scribbling on the phone book while waiting for live people to come on the phone. I don't draw as much as I used to, sadly enough. I hope Cyrl has a spectacular spa day, and gets back to Muse work! ;-) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tanya,
      Cyrl is back relaxed and clear minded. :)
      Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. I read you too are having this terrible wet weather, the positive side is it makes everywhere look so green and grow but no fun when it starts flooding.
    This is an interesting post, I guess my doodles fall into this category, secret marks that no one else ever sees, just letting your hand draw and letting it happen . It can be fascinating. I started a book just to doodle in.
    Is there a time in the day when it works better ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Milly,
      I'll try a book for doodling. As for time of day, the experience is the same, much like a water faucet, always at the ready to be what it is consistently. If I use a doodling book, then I might identify pattern in the strokes as they move along the paper, if there is a particular rhythm.

      Delete
  3. Wheen I draw in my sketch book it seems my drawings are more scribble and show more emotions. Goin to look that page up, love, Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana,
      I'll be praying for Sadie, and that she'll not try to run around the yard after her surgery.
      Happy Sketching!

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated