12 April 2015

Photo Library & Time

Sunbeam on Locust Tree August 2013




A few years ago passing by a black locust tree*, this blogger took a photo of a sun beam on the place where a branch had been sawed off. The chances of all the elements aligning to create that moment, guessing here, are rare.  Branches grow, break off, and are pruned.

*Great website about black locust






Black Locust Tree 2015




Almost two years later the sun still reaches the branch wound, but with shadows across it. The new wood has aged to gray. Lichen and a fungi or conk decorate the bark. Time moves on.
For the artist, noting changes in the physical world is important. Newly cut branches on the ground, light burnt sienna. Old branches rotting on the ground, gray.
These are photographs that will go into the photo library for reference > Trees>Black Locust> sunlight> summer >fungi>conk>furrowed bark

8 comments:

  1. One of my favorite themes in my art... time moves on. I love the stories that we see everywhere we look, by reading the effects that the passage of time has had on each thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Katherine,
      Your recent post, "Still" is uplifting on a sunny spring day.
      Have a great week!

      Delete
  2. Dear Maywyn- so wonderful to take notes on the various changes in the natural elements. Great way to mark time moving. Makes one aware that nothing remains quite the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debbie,
      Thank you for posting those lovely spring photos of your area
      Each change of season is a good time to takes notes. I think differences then are more noticeable. Today for example, I notice the branches on a crabapple tree are a lot more numerous in the smaller size than I noticed before.

      Delete
  3. Very cool! You get interesting shots. I will be blogging at my main blog, and my other ones are not forgotten-just laid aside for a while. I'll be checking on all my pals!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debra,
      Thank you
      Glad to read your main blog is up and running.

      Delete
  4. Such an interesting observation. I love to notice small changes like this too.
    Helen xox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Helen,
      Thank you
      Have a very happy spring!

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated