25 April 2015

Abstract Expressionism, Progress and the Slow Downs

Ah, the slowdowns. The bit of muse energy escaping to the outdoors, somewhere frolicking, cloud dreaming, and hunting for fiddle head ferns. A lack of organization can be for this artist as much fun indoors hunting for paper, brushes, and the still not found favorite white eraser. Determined, (and over pouting about the drawing paper rippling of control from a watercolor wash), two rolled drawings catch my eye across the room...a nude charcoal from Drawing 101, and the other an unfinished on paper left over from Advanced Drawing.
Out of the Box, 17"x18" mixed media drawing on orange paper
Fourteen years ago the arwork on the left began using figures from (my) an ink drawing circa 1968. The original creative idea is to layer paper, gesso, paint, marker, and perhaps a few small found objects.
Abstract Expressionism is a different artistic journey. The largest difference is the abstract requires more thinking into the story than the composition of the watercolors do. An abstract is a landscape the mind builds.
This is where I am in my pursuit of painting watercolors for a juried show I hope to enter.

Ah, the wonderment of progress!


Out of the Box, detail

4 comments:

  1. I'm catching up on blog reading this afternoon and my goodness, you have been busy! I was wondering how things are going in terms of the juried show - I think your first mention of that was the most recent post I had read, or maybe it just stuck in my head because it got me thinking about how long it has been since I've exhibited work. Anyway, I'm glad to hear you are finding your way toward your goal, and I'll look forward to seeing more of your creations :)
    And I agree about what a good idea it would be to go "sight" seeking with someone else, to share the driving vs. looking! When I have the rare opportunity to be a passenger, it always feels like my birthday...so much to see, when you don;t have to look at the road!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Guinn,
      Love your last post about the kindling wood. Good to see Piper is keeping busy. lol
      I spend more time reading blogs than I do writing one. I realize today if I put all the blogs I regularly read together they would look like a farm with artists, goats, ducks, geese, dogs, more dogs, quilters, knitters, bakers, travelers.
      Have a great week!

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated