08 November 2014

Stress Reduction in Watercolors

Update, how's it goin' on the stress reduction...The other day I decided the best thing to do is paint, watercolors. During times of high stress, depression, trauma, or exhaustion when the swing is low, I think a person tends to gravitate towards something that's calming, nurturing, familiar, first person personal, and loving. For me, that's watercolors.

A few weeks ago I happen to see  movement in a tree. I had my camera on, and quickly clicked a few frames. Squirrel on the Tree, looking out at me, isn't discovered until the pictures are uploaded. For over ten years squirrels have been pets in the hedgerow (now gone, and not a bad thing), painting them feels right.


As evident in the first photo, I haven't found my favorite white eraser as yet. Its around here some place. The old one is working well anyway so there's no hurry to look through things. I'm focusing on relaxing, de-stressing. A painting this large, 12" x 16", creates anxiety when I want to add color before the planning is complete. That urge is a dozen chocolate eclairs in front of me after I've lost ten pounds and want to celebrate. Solution. Don't buy the eclairs. For the painting, wash out socks if the need to slosh around in water overwhelms me.

Have a great week-end.
Back to blogging next week

10 comments:

  1. That's an excellent use of stress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Quinn,
      So is having a new enclosed porch! Happy New Windows to You!

      Delete
  2. Watercolours are fabulous for easing stress. How about you trace the final drawing.. then you can put it on to sheet after sheet of watercolour paper and play with paint and water as the mood takes you. Nothing is ever lost, because you can start over...
    Take care of you xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat,
      Thank you! I like that idea.

      Delete
  3. Dear Maywyn - Excellent way to de -stress. Your squirrel friend looks like he is going to be a wonderful subject and your drawing is fabulous. Had to smile about your eraser. Sounds like you are still in the putting away mode yet. Hoping that this week finds you less stressed my friend. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debbie,
      Thank you. The drawing is relaxing and fun to draw slowly. Putting things aways, yes. The winter clothes are all out, and the summer all put away. Now to wash the winter duds. lol. I'm preparing a blog post for tomorrow or Wednesday, going slow and relaxing.
      Hugs to you!
      Your recent posted photographs are beautifully relaxing.

      Delete
  4. I want to see how it turns out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Hena,
      I'm with you. :)
      I hope to finish by week's end.
      Have a great week!

      Delete
  5. HI Maywyn, John, my husband has down loaded Skype and we have so many pop ups to work around now I'm ready to scream. I need to paint today. Sending you a hug, Love,Diana

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Diana,
    Thanks for the tip about Skype.
    Happy Painting!

    ReplyDelete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated