03 October 2014

Red Leaves & Folding Cardboard

Stepping onto the dirt parking lane at Dead Creek Wildlife Management Area, a patch of red leaves in the grasses captures my attention. This time of year there is a lot of color on the ground as the foliage above lights up the landscape. When painting, having photos to reference shapes, shade and color tones is helpful. I didn't get a close up or make a sketch. Instead, I leave the image as an impression.

Yesterday, I folded at least five large cardboard boxes for the recycle. I made a good haul of books to the local library sale. Determined, last night I set my mind to emptying three large boxes in the corner. I made noises when I saw the scribbled words, "Books." Aw me. Thus, today is another book sorting day that I expect will fill up the donation pile better than yesterday.


This packing, unpacking experience  has been tiring, painful, and exasperating. The first day back, I sat in the one place I could, looking out at boxes piled out into the room, feeling deeply overwhelmed. As usual, I carried over too much that I could have had help with. But I wanted to do my part, and keep my important stuff where I can find it.
I recommend if you ever have to move during a renovation, make a list of important things to take with you, and, have a helper. It is an emotionally stressful experience with strangers in your home taking and bringing back your things from a place you've never seen. A helper might see or think of things you don't as well as lessen the burden/stress on you. And think of the positive ... down sizing/getting rid of things you don't need.

6 comments:

  1. Ah Maywyn - I am sure you were overwhelmed. Think you have done a wonderful job staying positive during this huge undertaking. Good thoughts on having a friend help the next time. Bet the library is loving the donations. Probably lots of great reading coming their way! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie,
    Happy week two of October!
    Still sorting books at the knick knack bits of stuff stage. The table is clear. The table isn't clear. lol
    I look forward to the glad its done stage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for you! Going through old books is especially trying... deciding what to keep, what to toss. Oh, I am glad I don't have this job right now. Be of good cheer, you will finish the job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeri,
      Thank you for the encouragement.
      I'm working on the 3rd donation pile, and a thrift store pile. :)

      Delete
    2. You sound a lot like me - doing it for yourself, and not asking for help. I hope you've found a little bit of peaceful pleasure in the move, by now - and that can take a little "me" time for yourself! XOXO

      Delete
    3. Hi Tanya,
      Thank you. I have found pleasure in knowing I have less stuff. It is a great feeling seeing things gone. The open space creates a peaceful feeling.

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated