02 September 2014

A Big Bug

Minding my own business writing a poem on the deck this morning, I notice a large black bug in the grass. Right away I know its not an Alexander beetle. I grab the camera to take pictures.


I search the Internet for Vermont Insects and Bugs to learn its a Predaceous Diving Beetle. They are found near bodies of water. So what's it doing scurrying across a dry lawn? There's been moving of soil, grading wise. I suspect a drainage ditch nearby might be too dry to support the beetle. The new destination might be Otter Creek because there are no bodies of water except for a school swimming pool a couple of streets over. They do fly at night, attracted to lights according to the website.

10 comments:

  1. OK, holy crap - they eat TADPOLES? That MUST be a large beetle - I hope it finds where it's going. Happy Tuesday - XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Tanya,
    That's what I thought. Dare say I didn't tip him over for a closer look.
    Happy Tuesday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing a poem on the deck sounds idyllic.
    What a beetle! I'd never heard of them, so appreciate the link.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pat,
      Glad you are back to blogging!

      Delete
  4. I love your inquisitive mind and that you share your info...bugs may be small but I do not mess with them...ya just never know what your dealing with...unless of course you research them... :) I also love that you sit on the porch and write poetry. I sit and read poetry and dream of writing it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee,
      Your back road picture taking is much like poetry. Just write what you see.
      I kept my distance from the bug lest he fly in my face, but I did move a blade of grass he appeared to be stuck on. After thought, not stuck...he was hiding from me. :)

      Delete
  5. forgot to add I am in the process of reading your other posts...i may not comment but i do not want to miss anything :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee,
      Glad you are back to blogging!
      You have been missed.

      Delete
  6. I second the thought of the first commenter...they eat tadpoles?? Let's hope they don't have plans for world domination. They might win!

    Your icon photo brought me here. Beautiful! It's like a storm, with hope in the orange rays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandi,
      I love your blog name, Dandelion Tea.

      Thank you. The icon is part of a painting I cropped color. I later finished the painting before I realized I liked it as it was. Now I have to paint it from the photo. lol

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated