09 August 2014

Trying New Things:Gluing Canvas Onto Plywood

1. Sand the plywood front, back and lightly on the edges
2. Cut canvas leaving room to wrap and staple canvas edges to the back. 
3. Apply watered down white PVC glue on the board  front only
~ Do Not Glue canvas to the plywood sides...leave room for any canvas shrinkage ~
4. Place glued plywood front onto the canvas 
5. Carefully turn it over canvas side up.
6. Smooth canvas on the plywood glued front (like wallpaper)
7. Apply one light layer of gesso over the canvas to help smooth out the canvas
8. Dry over night or in direct sun light until dry before adding more gesso

 9. Wrap and staple canvas to plywood back
10. Apply gesso in several layers, sanding in between gesso applications. Let gesso dry between layers.
 The surface is much smoother, after light sanding and several layers of gesso, than I expected.
A plus...shipping (small) artwork on wood will be easier, and less expensive than a stretched canvas. I'm not sure what I will use the canvas for, but  I lean towards a cottage style sign.

What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. I think I would try this-but I also know I am one to break 'rules' and do it differently. For instance, why does the canvas need to be wrapped? I would paint on it glued to the wood, leaving a margin around the canvas so the wood shows around it, on the right side. I have used canvas on little barn boards, just tacking the canvas to the front of the wood-not even a straight cut for the canvas. I have a bunch of them, some I have already sold with paintings on them. They really look primitive and cool that way.
    But I am perhaps odd-so my preferences may be one in a million!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Debra,
      Good point. I like your style with the wood showing around the canvas.
      I wrapped for a gallery wrapped canvas look. Plus, the plywood layers are visible on the sides of this wood. I'll take a photo to post later today.

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated