02 July 2014

Holiday 2014 Selling Season & Slump Busting

This it the time of the year to have artwork, crafts and such ready for the holiday selling season or at least in production.
After missing so many years to sell, in 2014 I'm determined to succeed after finding a packet of gift tags from 2010,  (that I had planned to sell on Esty.com, but didn't).
There are a lot of my projects that have missed their time to be finished. Whittling away at each over the years, like the gift tags, eventually one will surface after being left for later. In some ways its sad. In another way, its rewarding to know that I have not lost that hope. Hope is a slump buster.
Gift tags are small, easy to do, and quite relaxing to make. Cards are bigger fun, that have been on my dream list for decades. Why don't these wonderful things get done? Depression slumps? A small bit of procrastination? Attention deficit disorder? Fear of failure?  Sure.

 So there I am at the table sorting piles of stuff that includes a small block of wood. I think to myself, "Hey! What about those woodblock cards?" And, I just so happen to have also found carving tools.
As practice, I carve up to the point its time to get out the Dremel (bought over 10 years ago)*, and learn how to use that.




Mirror Image of Wood Block
Will next year's sorting out stuff be a discovery of the carving with no cards sold? No. There's no way I'm cleaning out where I think the Dremel just to pile up more unfinished projects.
Whatever the reasons are for going slow, they don't mean stop.

*Update13 July 2014... Correction Nikota Mini Rotary Took Kit, (not a Dremel).

10 comments:

  1. Why don't these wonderful things get done...All of the above! Very ambitious of you, with the wood carving - LOVE that idea! Hope you find the dremel without too much bother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tanya,
      As soon as I read you comment, I looked in the places where I've seen the Dremel...3rd try...its found! Thank you for the encouragement.
      Have a fantastic week!

      Delete
  2. You can do it! I'm a slow maker of things and sometimes it takes time to cultivate the idea before it bursts out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Erika for the encouragement
      Have a Happy 4th of July!

      Delete
  3. I think all artists feel as you do....we are easily distracted for many unseen reasons :) You will do great. Your in a new area that has not seen your beautiful work...I am sure they will be very happy with your talent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee,
      I love your new wheels.
      Thank you for the encouragement.
      Happy 4th of July to you and Frank!

      Delete
  4. Maywin~I LOVE your art work! So we are all encouraging you-get your stuff out in the world-!!!I have the same struggles-but once you get in the groove-it gets easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra,
      Thank you. A groove is what I'm going for.
      Happy 4th of July to you and yours!

      Delete
  5. Dear Maywyn - your gifts should not be hidden...get busy my friend and little by little you will get them done and be sending them out for all of us to enjoy - Have a happy fourth of July! Xo Xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie,
      Thank you. A Happy 4th of July to you and yours!
      I'll be sketching all week-end.

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated