27 April 2014

The Baby Squirrel

Late in the day I notice a mother squirrel moving her babies to a new location. Two down, another baby out...oops, four paws spread wide belly flop to the ground from the tallest nest about 30 feet off the ground. It looks all right. I took a few blurry pictures, not close as I hear mother complaining. I move away to wait for her to pick the kid up. Wait. No signs of mother squirrel. Worry will keep my up all night. Cats and foxes come through this way. 
I put the cute little squirrel in a wood planter with leaves, pine needles, a piece of wheat bread, and couple of knitted practice pieces. I wore gloves. I hang the planter from the topiary frame near the bench where there's more bread for the mother. Plastic bag to keep out rain with plenty of room to get in and out.
Baby is shivering, scared. So I stroke the baby squirrel to calm it down. The eyes slowly blink thank you as I pet near its ear. He or she just keeps staring at me with a sad face like where's my mother.  Me thinking...Sorry, kid, minimal contact, I'm going back inside.
I'm asking God why did I have to see that. Why did I have to be there at that moment. I'll be up all night checking that a fox or cat doesn't get at it. My heart aches over the fall. I'm so hoping she didn't throw it out of the nest on purpose. I'm surprised the baby squirrel responded to my gloves picking it up into the wood planter like its glad to be rescued, and, is attentive to me. Before I hung the planter up, it climbed out, but stayed looking at me like what's next.
I'm behind the lace sheers waiting for the mother to find her baby when it comes down for the bread. I see movement on my deck. Open curtain. Mother squirrel is looking up at me with a where's my kid. Nah, that can't be. She sniffs and looks on and around the deck, looks at me, looks at my Easter lily that use to be in the wood planter her kid is now resting in. Hint? I put on my sweater, and shoes, and go out to put the planter on the bench beside the bread to show moms where the kid is.
Off goes mother squirrel up a nearby tree to watch all this. The kid is resting in the bottom of the planter near the knitted pieces like its sleeping. I see an eye open. I leave the planter on the bench and go back inside.
Mother squirrel comes down, sniffs around, jumps up on the bench, sniffs, and looks inside the planter. A few tries later, (getting a knit piece away), she lifts her baby out. Carefully, stopping along the way, they go back up to the top nest that the baby fell from.



I see the mother and the other adult squirrel sitting in the tree later on. I thank God the mother squirrel found her baby all right. And I won't be up worrying all night.

16 comments:

  1. LOVE that photo - you did a good thing! Happy Sunday - hope you get some sleep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy Sunday Tanya!
      Thank you. Sleep I did. This morning I was hesitant to look at the backyard. My heart sank when I saw nest leaves falling from the tree a few minutes ago. The adult squirrels are out messing around digging up the hedgerow.

      Delete
  2. Oh how sweet! I was glad about the ending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra,
      Wishing you a happy week
      I'll be looking less at the willow tree this week.:)

      Delete
  3. Aw. I thought I was the only one that did things like this! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betsy,
      I love you photograph of the goldfinch. Very nice.
      Have a happy week. Thank you for stopping by

      Delete
  4. This is so adorable,Maywyn, I too would have been checking thru the night. So glad you saved the dear fellow. love,Diana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Diana,
      Thank you, but I can't take credit for a save. The little thing is so light, I think he hit the thick leaf bed in the hedgerow like a fast falling feather. His mom would have retrieved him from where he fell if I hadn't been so worried about his running off or being caught by something. All is well, and that's what counts.
      I'm on my way over to your blog to have a look at your booth at the art show.
      Have a happy week

      Delete
  5. Oh, that's the sweetest story! My heart just went out to that poor little baby-I'm SO relieved that the mother came back for him/her! (Adorable pics :)
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan,
      Thank you
      I hope somebody posts on your blog, Must Love Junk, what your numbered white cans with the hooks in the center top cover are. I wonder if they aren't part of a game.

      Delete
  6. Dear Maywyn - you are a woman after my own heart...I would have been doing just the same thing watching to keep baby safe. Perhaps God's purpose for you that day was to care and protect this sweetie. I often think animals may be angels in disguise and perhaps some folks as well - maybe You were one dear one! So glad everything turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debbie,
      I'm sure you would have been watching the baby as well.
      I think yesterday will be the last time his mom tries to move him or her.
      Have a great and happy week

      Delete
  7. What a wonderful story! I can hardly believe mommy retrieved her wee babe and I am so glad she did. I once acquired a baby squirrel who had been blown from his nest in a storm. I ended up raising the little tyke and love him so dearly. I fed him every 3 hours, day and night with an eye dropper until he was able to feed himself. He was a success story and left us as an adult to make his way in the wide wide world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeri,
      You have a good heart. I expect the baby squirrel's adorable made the every 3 hours a little easier. I'm glad you had the chance to have that experience to the squirrel's adulthood. They do seem to relish their independence.
      Thankfully, the baby squirrel that fell is just about big enough to take care of itself. I'm waiting to see him in the yard someday.

      Delete
  8. Thank God that was a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sandi,
      Yes, a very happy outcome. All three squirrels grew up and left the nest before the tree was cut down.

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated