09 December 2013

Earth's Satellite Et al.


The present moon is about half full or the first quarter. On Sunday evening the sky was clear enough to take pictures of Earth's only Satellite at 5:30 PM Easter Time, USA, Vermont.

On 20 July 1969 when man first stepped on the Moon, I thought that was the most important event in Earth's history that I will experience.
Recently, I began thinking...How are man made satellites managed? Can any one put one up? Is there a license to satellite? What's going up there really? Who regulates Earth's atmosphere layers and outer space?

I can't say that I've put effort into finding those answers until today when it dawned on me that I have an unreasonable expectation the United States Government takes care of it all. Not quite. The United Nation's agency, ITU (International Telecommunications Union) handles Earth's satellites, (what goes up and when thing).


Some links:
International Telecommunications Union
Space Policy Online dot com
Window to the Universe -Thermosphere

12 comments:

  1. Dear Maywyn - I remember the trip to the moon - it was an exciting time. Very interesting questions you have my friend. Hope you find your answers. Take care and have a delightful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Debbie,
    A delightful day to you. The snow has been falling here all day, light but it is snow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shutter to think what all is up there now that we do not know about...I am not a conspiracy person... but I worry that what goes up can come down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dee! Good to see you.
      I don't look at what's up there for that very reason, the shutter to think.
      I stop at who regulates what goes up.

      Delete
  4. I know that sometimes when the satellites have to come down they crash them into the ocean. Google Space Mold and that stuff grows on the satellites and then they crash it into the ocean. crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Erika,
      It is crazy. I pray that all space debris can be controlled. Bringing down mold, its no wonder there's more of a mold problem. When I was young, I rarely saw mildew like I hear about today.

      Delete
  5. interesting.. never put much thought into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hena,
      You and me both. Its the things we don't think about that can surprise us.

      Delete
  6. I love the moon - I'm always walking outside at night to take a look. Fabulous photo at the top! Stay warm there in Vermont this week...Tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tanya,
      Thank you.
      The tracks in the snow on the deck this morning might be a fox. I'll watch the Moon from indoors.

      Delete
  7. I remember that moon landing too-I love the moon especially on winter nights when there's snow on the ground. An owl hooting makes it perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debra,
      Beautiful scene with the owl.

      Delete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated