11 October 2013

Fiddling with a Jar of Orange Water

Before I start typing I turn to lotion my hands because I want smooth, attractive, ready to share texture with my words. The same is true of color light and shadows in my art.
To lotion my imagination, I made photographs of food colored orange water in a jar. I chose orange because it is one of the two dominant colors of the Autumn season, black being the other. While not everyone may be into goblins and spider webs, I feel the majority are into pumpkins. All year there's the small apple, small orange, small avocado. In four season climates, at harvest time there are big pumpkins on porches, in fields, and on tables symbolizing a good harvest (and time for free candy). We will survive the winter. Let's relax by the fireside.


The light in the first photo glows with light I'd like to achieve in paintings. The photo acts as a model.


(The sunlight is on the right.)






 The gray scale version of the picture helps identify the positive and negative spaces, sort out the where and whats.

Fiddling with a color water jar, I believe, enhances abstract pattern familiarity comfort. If you've sloshed paint on a surface you might notice human or animal shapes emerging because those objects ride on your familiar comfort. The patterns of the light through the water teaches you to increase what you are familiar with.




Thus, the reason I keep taking pictures of things in water, grape stems, and dry flower petals.

Consider feeding your imagination with color water photographs, and then paint them.

2 comments:

  1. This is fascinating! How did you change the colors of the photo, what program did you use? I love your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katherine,
    Thank you
    I use irfanview, a free photo editing program you can download online. Most photo editing programs have a gray scale setting. You can also decrease the color saturation down to gray tones.

    ReplyDelete

Polite comments are welcome and appreciated